Tuesday 7 February 2017

How does your media product represent social group, youth subcultures, class and gender?

The two models used on my front cover are similar to the models used on most POP magazines. They are young and they look fun. I decided to use a male and female model to show a relationship between them, this will attract our target audience as young girls are interested in gossip and romance. Our target audience is mostly female so they will be drawn to this magazine as they aspire to be like the girl on the cover. However, as i used a female and a male model on the cover this might widen our target audience as males might be drawn in by the boy on the front cover. My models are both young so this represents youth and alternative youth, teenage girls/boys will look up to them. The fact that the models on the cover are in love is quite rare for a POP magazine so our target audience will be intrigued. I included a male model as well as a female as most front cover models on big POP magazines are usually women and couples aren't usually seen together on the front of POP magazines. I have represented teenage girls in a stereotypical fashion, using bright colors like pink and yellow and having features involving romance and make-up and the obsession to boys in a fairly stereotypical fashion to some extent. I have followed style models I've looked at and I reflect the fact that music magazines for girls even at a young age are also concerned with female lifestyle in a way that male-oriented music magazines aren’t. My magazine represents working class young people in a positive light at a time when their portrayal in the media is often negative and related to crime. Quite often, successful artists come from middle class backgrounds, so this is an inspiration for the working class audience. The theorist Gaye Tuchman (1978)  said women are ‘symbolically annihilated by the media through absence, condemnation or trivialization,’ but my magazine shows how successful they can be and I think I have created a life-enhancing assertion of female self-confidence? (Pete Fraser, 2005).

No comments:

Post a Comment